Introducing: The FSJ Calendar
It goes without saying that we're witnessing a proliferation of fashion exhibitions, symposiums, and panel discussions. These are events that both nourish our love of fashion while deepening our knowledge of history, culture, and practice–what a time to be alive! However, we've become just as overwhelmed (in a good way) as you are when it comes to keeping track of all of the events that are cropping up both near and far, so we've decided to put together our own curated list of happenings that we think will enlighten your fashion mind and populate your planner. The FSJ Calendar is here to keep you organized and informed. We are constantly putting new events on the calendar (so check in often), but every month we will spotlight exhibitions, talks, and gatherings from independent collectives, as well as world-renowned institutions.
As we set our sights on a brilliant and socially active new calendar year, here's a checklist of what's on in January to get you on your way:
- Tuesday, January 17th: Visit the opening reception for the NYU MA Costume Studies exhibition, "Performing Fashion: New York City". The exhibition, co-curated by a group of eight students, explores the performative aspects of dress and the body as enacted by individuals and groups in New York City.
- Thursday, January 19th: London College of Fashion will host fashion scholar Hazel Clark as she discusses her co-authored book, Fashion and Everyday Life: London and New York (Bloomsbury 2017).
- Thursday, January 19th: Ever wonder how a scent can embody the cultural spirit of a decade? Take a crash course (without spilling your wine) through a half-century of iconic fragrances, hosted by Think Olio.
- Friday, January 20th: Described as the "the largest and boldest display of trans artefacts and photographic portraiture ever displayed in the UK", the Museum of Transology exhibition at UCL's Fashion Space Gallery may be fashion curation and storytelling at its finest.
- Saturday, January 21st: FSJ stands in solidarity with women's rights movements, and the Women's March on Washington is a crucial space to watch for defending human equity. If traveling to Washington, D.C. isn't possible, you can find a march near you here.
- Thursday, January 26th: For those of you in London, sit in on a lecture/seminar organized by the Costume Institute of the African Diaspora as they continue their dialogue on racism in fashion.
- Sunday, January 29th: With a presence that has spanned just over a decade, Fashion Week Stockholm is considered the "leading fashion week in Northern Europe". Check out the full schedule of events to discover the latest designers changing the face of Scandinavian fashion.
- Monday, January 30th: Closing out the month on our calendar, we support our NYU Costume Studies peers as they host a panel discussion that engages with performers of fashion. This event is in conjunction with the exhibition, "Performing Fashion: New York City".
Do you know of an event that should be added to our calendar? We want to hear from you! Send your recommendations to email@example.com. Also, stay tuned for an upcoming schedule of FSJ-hosted events. We'll see you soon.
(Thumbnail Image by Hope House Press, courtesy Unsplash.)